Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Happy Birthday Riley Kate

Three years ago this coming Sunday I witnessed one of the most precious miracles. What began as a tiny seed, knitted together by the very hand of God, was commanded to come forth and take breath- my first born gave her first cry on May 27 at 6:59pm.
ry=400.jpg
She was not the only one who was born that day
This mommy was born...


ry=400.jpg
And this daddy.






























We had no idea what we were doing-but we were excited to figure it out! Isn't it interesting that no other time except when one has a baby can you meet someone for two seconds and be willing to die for them? From the first moment we saw her  our lives have literally never been the same. Children truly are "a heritage from the Lord , the fruit of the womb-a reward" Psalm 127:3

Riley Kate is a compassionate child who is kinda an old soul-she understands and reasons things above her age. She has been gifted with a mind that we pray will glorify God all the days of her life. She really is way more than we could have ever imagined. The details she remembers, the way she pretends, her sense of humor, and her sweet snuggles are just some of the ways we delight in her.  We do delight in our children but you know I have to believe as I reflect over the last three years that God has duel purposes in children. They are a gift - my life is way fuller because of this once 5lb 8oz peanut (and my other peanut), but I have been forced (yes sometimes it has felt like coercion) to lay down my life in a deeper way. My children, starting on May 27, 2009, have been instruments that the Lord has used to teach me about his love for me, to show me my sin (especially selfishness), and hopefully made me look more like Christ. 
One of my favorite authors talks about the need to self parent. And as we are knee deep in these teaching years- I find myself imparting wisdom to Riley only to be fully convicted that I need to take my own advice. So having children are for our good (in many ways) and for God's glory. 

I really cannot believe three years have passed since I first held this sweet baby. The 4th/5th grade students I said goodbye to earlier that day (via a kick-line as the busses drove off for summer break ) will begin  8th/9th grade in the fall-wow! 

We are looking forward to celebrating her birthday on Memorial Day (after our moving weekend) at my mom and dad's pool. She is currently a huge Yo Gabba Fan and her party is themed appropriately. Although I  was hoping for more a fancy Nancy themed party- i must admit I am kinda excited about some of the decorations I have prepared. We started our celebration today by doing her 3 year old photo shoot ( nothing professional-just with mommy) and completing our 3 year old questionnaire. I totally ripped this idea from someone else-but you ask your kids the same questions every year at their birthday and see how their answers change.. I plan to make a book (I guess when she is 18) sometime. So heres the pics and her answers. 












This was her Q/A
Riley Kate’s 3rd Birthday Questionnaire
Weight-30lbs
Height- 37.5 inches
1.What is your favorite color? pink /blue
2.What is your favorite TV. Show?  Barney /Yo Gabba
3.What is your favorite thing to play inside? puzzles
4.What is your favorite thing to do outside? swing/ swimming
5.What is your favorite movie? Patty Cake
6.What is your favorite book? Pinkalicious
 7.What is your favorite restaurant? Chickfilla
8.What is your favorite verse? “Love does not delight  in evil but rejoices in the truth”
9.What is your favorite Holiday? Christmas
10.What do you want to be when you grow up? a mommy
11.What is your favorite meal? Turkey and cheese
12.What is your favorite fruit? blueberries
13.What is your favorite snack? Teddy grahams
14.What is your favorite thing to do with mommy? go to the park
15.What is your favorite thing to do with daddy-? go to chipotle
16.Who is your best friend? mommy
17.What is your favorite outfit? pink strawberry shirt and pink shorts
18. What is your favorite toy? Yo Gabba guys
19. What is your favorite song? Roll over /wheels on the bus
20. What is your favorite animal? Monkey
21.What is your favorite game? hide and go seek
22.What is your favorite drink? sweet tea
23.What do you like to take to bed at night? B and yo gabba guys
24.What is your favorite thing for breakfast? bagels
25. What is your favorite dinner? spaghetti

Have a great Wednesday! love The GRANTS 



No comments:

Post a Comment