Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Loving slow-my children

Why is something so sweet and delightful so hard to do at times? Loving my girls slowly brings me so much joy -although many days unfortunately my love for them looks more like a train speeding full-force down a track (I will explain why in the near future).
I am going to share a story that was told to me that was read from a book...I would love to give the book credit but I honestly have no idea where it came from or if I will get anything but the main details correct. But anyway the story went like this-
"A family was dropping off their oldest son at college on move in day when they passed a fresh peaches stand and decided to stop and partake. The family looked around for a moment and theses peaches looked so yummy. The lady who was selling the peaches said these are the best peaches ever. She said they are juicy and delightful. The family said well we will take one a piece . The lady looked at the mother and said you better get a whole bunch and enjoy them while you can because the season is almost over and you will miss them when its fall." The story went on to relate that to our children. The one who was sharing the story asked a question that hit home to me.. She asked us to recite apart of the book "Goodnight Moon", which Riley Kate and I read most every night and of course I chimed in- "In the great green room there was a telephone and a picture of the cow jumping over the moon." She reminded us that one day we would say Goodnight to moon for the last time. This simple story motivated my heart to slow down. I remembered thinking as she shared, how most nights tired and to the point of exhaustion, I  race through the story. Oh how I desire to eat every "peach" with my children (a.k.a.love them slow). I hope this encouraged you to do the same.  Sit down and play and eat some peaches.

1 comment:

  1. wow, this made me tear up! i love this whole idea of loving slow, ashley. thank you for that incredible reminder. isn't that how the Lord loves us? we are so blessed.

    ReplyDelete