Monday, October 31, 2011

The Perry's

This past week was a sad week  as my cousin and her husband were told there was no other medical options for their new son and they said goodbye to their 28 day old baby boy-Justice Perry. I know many kept up with him through his facebook page or my status and prayed continuously for him, Sara, Troy, and big brother Noah. Although we miss Owensboro, I am very thankful to be in Nashville for many reasons and this occasion is no exception. Each time I visited Vanderbilt's children's hospital to visit with the Perry's I went desiring to minister to them but left filled and ministered to BY them. I am so thankful I was able to witness what God was and is doing through that family. I have heard complete strangers tell friends of friends that their family was changing Vanderbilt's children's hospital. They suffered well! While they never left their baby and were obvious concerned for him they used this trial as a mission field. They ministered to every other family up there. They were able to do so tirelessly. They considered others needs ahead of their own and asked for specific needs to be met for these other families. They were famous up there.. when i visited  people would stop them to give them updates or ask for prayer. I know it wasn't of their own strength -it couldn't be-it was too supernatural!! It was that of God Almighty's. It was very cool to see that fleshed out. On the Thursday night before Baby Justice went to be with Jesus on Friday, Aaron and I got to hold his hands and sing to him. I even showed him pictures of his cousins-Riley Kate and Hadley. His life renewed my walk with Christ and challenged my prayer life more than I think I am even aware.
When I think eternally or on a very large scale I quickly see how radically different it is from how I think 99.9% of the time. It hit me so hard on Friday afternoon after we heard Justice had died that as godly parents- our number one,  main priority is to raise children that will turn the world upside down for the kingdom of God. We are to raise them so that they will be used by God for God. That is our purpose for parenting- the end goal. I thought about baby Justice's life and even though it was only 28 days long-he did just that... his parents suffered well and through Justice's trial made much of GOD!
My Granny Powell (Sara's granny too) had 9 children-two of which died as children- she is familiar with this pain. She lost her mother, father, and husband within 11 months of one another. She battled and survived TB, was a hardworking farmer's wife who tended the fields, washed clothes on a board, made 90 homemade biscuits a day for her 6 growing boys, husband, and one girl (sara's momma). She is familiar with trials but has so much joy-because of knowing Christ. I feel like she has left a legacy for our family.  Our family of 70+ (Kids, grandchildren, great grandchildren) lost grandaddy ( granny's husband) 27 years ago and until Friday there hasn't been a death. Tomorrow afternoon he will be buried and tomorrow night a memorial service will be in his honor.. BUT one day-oh what a glorious DAY!

If you want to watch the service tomorrow night at 6:30 tune in at- www.epicchurch.tv and click on icampus to watch via livestream 

No comments:

Post a Comment